TeleSur English Posted Thurs., June 08, 2017
In a brief, two sentence official White House statement released Wednesday about the attack earlier that day that killed 17 people in Iran, President Donald Trump said the nation was reaping the consequences of its actions, prompting Iran to denounce the United States President’s response as “repugnant.”
President Trump said in the statement that while “we grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks in Iran”, nonetheless “we underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, tweeted in response: “Repugnant WH (White House) statement and Senate sanctions as Iranians counter terror backed by US clients.”
The U.S. senate opened up the floor for debate to move forward with a new round of sanctions on Iran on Wednesday, only hours after the attack. Democratic Senator Chris Coons saw the proposed sanctions bill as an “opportunity” to “amend it to include strong Russia sanctions.”
The attack on Tehran’s parliamentary complex, and the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini which took place Wednesday, killed 17 people, and wounded over 40 others. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
“Terror-sponsoring despots threaten to bring the fight to our homeland. Proxies attack what their masters despise most: the seat of democracy,” Zarif said in another tweet.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have accused Saudi Arabia and the U.S of colluding to support the action, releasing a statement that said “this terrorist attack happened only a week after the meeting between the U.S. President (Donald Trump), and the (Saudi) backward leaders who support terrorists. The fact that Islamic State has claimed responsibility proves that they were involved in the brutal attack.”