The Sun.co.uk By Joshua Zitser Sun., July 29, 2018
Natalie Rawnsley, 37, was on holiday with her husband and two boys when she was struck down with food poisoning. Her condition rapidly worsened in just 36 hours.
She was rushed to hospital where her husband, Stewart Rawnsley, said she lay bleeding from every orifice. She eventually died after blood clots formed all over her body and blocked the vessels.
Westminster Coroner’s Court also heard that the couple’s insurance company insisted Natalie would not be moved from Corfu to a mainland hospital.
The family had been on holiday for a week already when the tragedy occurred last August.
At the beginning of the second week, the family of four went to one of the hotel’s restaurants – a buffet – for dinner.
The children and Stewart ate pasta, bread and sausages Natalie ate a meal of chicken, salad, prawns and vegetables.
Natalie’s husband said: “We were already at the table when Natalie came back with her food. Natalie started to eat hers and as she cut the chicken the chicken oozed red blood to which point I commented it looked bloody.“She got up took it back replaced the chicken with a different piece and came back and ate it. “She had a few mouthfuls of the other piece of chicken.”
Later that evening, she began to feel unwell.
The inquest were told that Natalie was, the following morning, diagnosed with gastroenteritis. Her condition deteriorated so an ambulance was called in the afternoon to take her to a medical centre.
Later than evening she was moved to the Corfu hospital. A nurse, who said she was the head of international medicine, asked for Natalie to be taken to a hospital on the mainland which had better facilities.
Her husband said: “At around 1pm her brother and I notice her heart monitor was getting weaker and it continued. I screamed out and her brother screamed out. Medical assistance arrived and we were removed from the room.”
“We were outside the door and they were in there five or ten minutes and then the same nurse came out and apologised as there wasn’t anything more she could do, and Natalie died.”
The inquest heard that Natalie, who was otherwise fit and healthy, probably became so seriously ill from food poisoning because of her genes.