Middle East Eye.net Wed., Oct. 1o, 2018
In the most detailed Turkish account about the reported murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, pro-government newspapers released late on Tuesday the alleged names and photos of 15 Saudi nationals it said travelled to Istanbul the day Khashoggi disappeared.
A source close to the investigation told Middle East Eye that one of those 15 individuals is the head of the forensic department in Saudi general security.
Earlier on Tuesday, a source close to the investigation said 15 Saudis that visited the consulate on 2 October, the day Khashoggi disappeared, and later left the country on the same day, are all under suspicion.
Turks and civilians who visited the building on the same day are also all being treated as suspects, the source said.
Turkey’s Sabah newspaper said the Saudi nationals arrived from Riyadh to Istanbul on two private jets with the tail numbers HZ-SK1 and HZ-SK2. According to the report, most of them stayed at the Wyndham Grand Hotel and Movenpick Hotel, which is close to the consulate.
On Wednesday, Turkish television broadcaster NTV released CCTV footage of some of the Saudis going from the airport to the Movenpick Hotel and on to the consulate.
According to the images, a vehicle that went inside the consulate then went to the consul-general’s residence nearby after 12:00 GMT, two hours after Khashoggi had entered the mission, the AFP news agency reported.
Saudi Arabia will allow Turkish investigators into its consulate to probe Khashoggi’s disappearance, Turkey’s foreign ministry said earlier on Tuesday.
The New York Times cited a Turkish official as saying a bone saw was used to dismember Khashoggi’s body.
“The official described a quick and complex operation in which Mr Khashoggi was killed within two hours of his arrival at the consulate by a team of Saudi agents, who dismembered his body with a bone saw they brought for the purpose,” the newspaper reported on Tuesday.
Fiancee appeal — In an opinion piece for the Washington Post on Tuesday, Khashoggi’s fiance wrote that she was “confident in the abilities of Turkish government officials”.
“At this time, I implore President Trump and first lady Melania Trump to help shed light on Jamal’s disappearance,” she said.
“I also urge Saudi Arabia, especially King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to show the same level of sensitivity and release CCTV footage from the consulate.”
Full article here: https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/jamal-khashoggi-turkish-newspaper-releases-names-15-saudi-suspects-689795141